Wood's World

Wood's World

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

RIP John Alan Clark

I received one of the most unexpected and worst phone calls from my mom today.  We lost John Clark.  I could barely understand my mom because she was crying so hard.  I'm still crying.  I can't stop.

I remember the day I met John...16 years ago.  I was raking the yard (a chore given to me by my parents) and it was way easier to rake them into our neighbor's yard rather than bag them.  He busted me of course!  We bonded immediately and he met my parents shortly after that.  They became the best of friends.

I had a key to John's house.  I kept his beloved Mischa and Cuervo while he was traveling.  It was my second home.  He was my second Dad.  He let me use his Hummer, his Jeep, he took me jet skiing, he bailed me out of more than one legal situation, we went to festivals together, lots of breakfasts, lunches and dinners, a trip to Vegas for a wedding gift for me and Jason, never forgot a Christmas or birthday.  Lots of parties: The annual Xmas party (the reindeer with blue balls) Labor Day Picnics, and Suites at the Braves games, Superbowl.  He was always the one who called for a last minute dinner to get you out of the house, or would stop by for a tequilas shot or a Coors light  (my mom always had an ice cold one waiting for him) and would chat the night away (without sitting down of course).  He was there for my graduations, my destination wedding and the birth of Declan... and loved him so much.  He was pretty much the person I would call and knew I could count on if my parents weren't around.  He lectured me, gave me great advice, and was always so proud of me (even if I didn't go to Florida State).  I miss him so much already.  I can picture him now in a floral or Hawaiian type shirt (unbuttoned half way down of course) with his Colombia shorts on and a garnet and gold FSU jacket.
John was a part of our family.  He was my parents' best friend.  He was the MOST generous and selfless man on the planet.  He always did for others and wanted everyone else to be happy.  This made him happy.  I loved him so incredibly much.  My heart hurts.  I'm sick to my stomach and grief stricken.  I have lost 3 grandparents, two that I loved dearly, the other one I barely shed a tear.  As I sit here and think about it...this is probably the first time I have lost someone who I was extremely close to and loved so much. 
I think John would tell his Stefanagle as he called me, to be happy and celebrate his life and all of the wonderful memories that we shared together.    Here's to you John!  I'm toasting you with the finest shot of tequila!  I love you and will miss you! Feel free to check in on us time to time...I know you are looking over us:-)

Kelly and Corey-
Thanks for sharing your dad with me!  I hurt so much, I can only imagine how you all feel.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I love you both!!!

Deborah-
Love you!  I'm thinking about you and saying a ton of prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment