Wood's World

Wood's World

Sunday, December 16, 2012

Not the visit I was expecting....

My mom and I went to visit my grandmother today at the rehab facility. It was absolutely heart wrenching. She has taken a turn for the worse and hospice will be evaluating her tonight and she will most likely be moved there. She is not eating or drinking and I barely recognized her.

Upon seeing us she got very excited and emotional which caused her to start vomiting. Heartbreaking and scary. I brought Mead with me today. I thought Mead would bring her some happiness. She did tell me I was beautiful and when she looked at Mead she said "God love him.". Classic Grandmama quote and made me smile. It took everything she had to get those sentences out and you can barely understand her. The nurse came in and changed her and she fell fast asleep. We hung around hoping she might wake up to visit, but she was worn out. I kissed her goodbye and she sighed. She knew I was there...that's what I'm going to tell myself anyway.

Apparently she is getting agitated too at times and hitting herself, picking at herself, throwing herself out of her wheel chair, etc. That is just not fair. She needs to be comfortable. My mom, aunt, and uncle will make sure she gets the best care. They are a little army those 3. They are an excellent team. Grandmama raised 3 amazing children!!!

Grandmama is not gone and we don't know when that will be. I can just say that today was awful. I felt so badly for her. My heart hurts for my Mom too. It's hard to see your parents upset:(

Prayers are appreciated for our family and Grandmama!


Stefani


Now you may not agree with me posting these pictures, but it sheds some light on just how ugly Alzheimer's disease is. The pic above was taken in July...the one below is from today. 5 months. What a cruel, cruel disease.



At least she was calm and resting....


1 comment:

  1. Sweet Stefani please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and family. I love you girl <3

    Tracy Parrish

    ReplyDelete