Wood's World

Wood's World

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Counting Our Blessings

I received a call from one of my students' mother on Friday morning before I dropped Declan off at Ms. Jeanne's..."Mrs. Wood, J will not be at school today, our apartment burned down, we are all okay, but we lost everything and he can't make it to school today."  I was in shock and I don't think it had hit her yet.  They were in their pajamas and watching American Idol and the (electrical) fire started in their apartment.  They tried to put it out, but it did not help and they had to run out of the house and leave everything behind.  Again, they are all okay, but can you even imagine???  What would you do?

I knew I had to do something for this family, so I turned to FB for help (great idea, Mom).  With the help of some very generous coworkers, friends, and family I was able to gather a ton of stuff.  Jason, Declan, my long time friend Casey and her son Jaden and I, dropped off a truck and car load of donations, gift cards, and cash.  The family was overwhelmed. 

After everything was unloaded...my student ran to me and gave me a hug and a kiss and was crying as I left.  The mother and I were able to hold it together until then. We both started crying.  As I was walking down the hall I heard her older son say..."Are you okay, Mama?  Those are happy tears, right?"  She replied with "Yes, son very happy tears."

So for all of you that were so generous in helping this family...thank you.  I was able to drop off more money and another carload to them today.  More tears, but happy tears.  They are going to be okay.  What a special family.

No comments:

Post a Comment