Wood's World

Wood's World

Thursday, March 31, 2011

AUTISM AWARENESS MONTH

April is Autism Awareness month.  I could list all of the facts about autism for you but, that would take forever...If you are interested please check the Autism Society of America or Autism Speaks website.  You will be intrigued by the facts and statistics that they share.  Just know that it is on the rise...

I can tell you that I have the greatest job on the planet working with these amazing children.  No day is EVER the same in my classroom and some days are way more challenging than others, but there is nothing I would rather do than teach and love these little ones everyday.  Every student or individual with autism (or any disability) that I have had the honor to work with has had a huge impact on my life.  My 9th year of teaching and I can remember the first and last name of every child I have had and how much they have touched me and how much I have learned from each one of them. 

I really think that it has prepared more than anything to be a parent too.  Weird how things work.  My students have taught me patience, understanding, and love that many people will never get to experience.  I wake up and I'm excited to go to work and have an impact on these children's lives everyday.  Don't get me wrong...being a mom is the BEST job in the world, but teaching children with autism is definitely a close second. 

Please take the time to learn more about autism and have a little more patience for people that may have a disability.  You most likely will learn more from them than they will learn from you.

You will notice a lot famous buildings/structures that are lit up in BLUE this month...it is part of the LIGHT IT UP BLUE campaign to spread Autism Awareness.  I know I will be wearing BLUE tomorrow to spread awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment