Wood's World

Wood's World

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Dixon

We lost our beloved dog, Dixon, to "bloat" yesterday.  We woke up on Sunday morning around 7:00 and were all in the bed together hanging out until Declan started saying "eat, eat."  So, we all got out of bed.  Dixon peed on the floor which he NEVER does.  This dog could hold it in all day and all night if he needed to.  Then Dixon laid on the couch while Declan was eating breakfast...definitely not normal for our dog.  He dry heaved and nothing came up and he was restless and could not get comfortable.  I went into our room and he followed me in there and dry heaved and peed on the floor again.  Dixon laid on the bathroom floor right by my feet while I got ready and was not moving and began whimpering.  I called Jason in and told him it was not looking good.  He had been researching Dixon's symptoms in the other room.  He checked his stomach which was hard as a rock and immediately put on his boots and rushed him to an emergency vet.

The doctor confirmed that it was "bloat,"(his stomach had twisted, gases were trapped and his organs were shutting down) and told us we needed to act fast.  The doctor told us we caught it soon enough and he was sure he could save him.  We asked about Dixon's age (11) but the doctor said he was by no means at the end of his rope and reccommended the surgery.  How could we not let him do it?!  If you have a pet it is your responsibility to take care of your animal.  We went with the surgery.

Dixon handled the surgery well, but his blood was not clotting, so he had his first blood transfusion.  We got a call from the doctor on Monday saying Dixon had gotten up and walked outside to go to the bathroom.  Great news!  Well, he took a turn for the worst.  He was losing blood and another transfusion was recommended...who cares what it cost...we were NOT giving up on our fighter and neither was Dr. Phillips.  He brought in his own dog to give Dixon a live blood transfusion.

We had to wait through the night to see how he responded.  We called Tuesday morning around 6:30 and the on call doctor said he was not better, but not worse.  She told us that Dr. Phillips would call when he got in at 8:00.  He did, and said he was not doing well and that the last transfusion was all he could take.

Jason picked me and Declan up and we all headed to the vet to say goodbye to our dog.  Jason and I were sick to our stomachs.  We got there and Jason asked the doctor to bring Dixon to us in the room so we could spend some time with him alone.  Dr. Phillips had to carry him in to us.  Dixon could not walk and could barely hold his head up.  He definitely knew we were all there though.  he lifted his head and even smelled our hands.  We said our goodbyes and it was extremely emotional.  Declan and I went out to the car while Jason stayed with Dixon while he was euthanized. The doctor even cried.

This was probably one of the most difficult days of my life.  I have had animals that have passed away before, but never had to actually do it or make the decision.  This grown up thing sucks sometimes.

Jason was so strong.  He rescued Dixon from a box of puppies that were thrown out in Athens.  Dixon was there for him when no one else was.  They were the best of friends.  My heart hurt so badly for him.

Dixon was our protector and friend.  He was a part of our family.  I have not cried this hard in a very long time.  I know he is not in pain and do not question our decision, but I just miss him.  It has affected ALL of us in a major way...even the cat.  It is so hard to come home and not have our sweet boy greet us at the door every time we walk in.   I miss him under my feet, I miss him begging for food, I miss him barking at every little thing, I miss him curled up in the bed with us, I miss him chasing me and Declan around the house, I miss him eating Declan's diapers, I miss him cuddling with me after Jason goes to work, I miss Declan feeding him what he didn't want off of his tray, I miss his loud snoring...I miss him with all of my heart.  I'm not sure how people deal with a sick child or the loss of a child if losing an animal hurts this much.

We will get through it, but it won't be easy.  Looking forward to when we can tell stories about him and laugh and not cry.  I know it will get easier each day, but the Wood house is mad, sad, and we have very heavy hearts right now.  Everything happens for a reason, but that does not make it any easier.









We love you Dixon!  Thank you for being such a great dog and such a big part of our little family.  You will be missed and remembered forever.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful tribute to your special Dixon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Staci's friend, Tracey, and she told me what happened. I check here every now and then to see how cute little Declan is. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Many tears are shed by just reading that sweet post. I know how hard this time is for you guys. May each day get a little easier. Dixon was a handsome guy and very lucky to have had you as his family.

    ReplyDelete