Wood's World

Wood's World

Friday, April 16, 2010

9 month Check-Up???

So...we had Declan's 9 month check up today with Dr. Elliott. Why you might be asking...isn't he 8 months? Yes he is, but I have been noticing something about Declan and decided we needed to go ahead and go. If you look at pictures or have been around Declan a lot you probably have noticed that his head leans to the left (his left) a lot. I started noticing this when he started sitting. Just sort of seems off balance and that he can't hold it up...well I was right. He has Torticollis. Basically his nerve muscles are different sizes and weak and needs to strengthened is the gist of it. There is a lot more online if you research it. It could have gotten worse if we did not catch it, but it is nothing too major. He was however prescribed physical therapy by the doctor today. I spoke with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and they put him on the "priority" list. He has his first evaluation at Scottish Rite on Tuesday. I guess we will get more answers then and see what the next steps are. Being in the school system and working with physical therapists, I feel like I have great resources and can remain a step ahead. I have already emailed one that I have worked with who is amazing and have gotten advice and exercises to do in the meantime. Other than that he is one healthy little boy! He weighs 20lbs. and was 28 inches long. I think he said something about the 60th and 70th percentile, but that wasn't my priority on this visit. They also test for anemia at this visit and that was perfect too. All in all it was a great visit. I thank God for this healthy baby boy EVERYDAY!!! I will update after his first physical therapy appointment. Wish us luck!

1 comment:

  1. I noticed the head tilt last week when I was looking through all the photos on the blog and thought that I should email and ask you about it. So happy that you caught it so early. Go Mom!

    ReplyDelete