Wood's World

Wood's World

Friday, April 2, 2010

AUTISM AWARENESS


Today is Autism Awareness Day and the whole month of April is dedicated to autism awareness. If you are reading this blog, then you know me and know how extremely passionate I am about helping individuals with autism. I cannot begin to even tell you how touched I have been by these children affected by autism. I have dedicated part of my life (since high school) working with these children and trying to spread awareness. It is amazing to see the gains and progress of the children that I have worked with. They are truly unbelievable individuals. If I was granted 3 wishes one of them would be to...walk in the shoes of a child with autism and to be in there head for just one day. I cannot imagine what they go through everyday. I have also been very touched by parents and families who have been affected by autism. It is a very long road for them and they are so positive, so strong and very supportive. I have worked with children with autism across the spectrum from severe (non-verbal and sometimes aggressive) to Asperger's (extremely brilliant). No one child is the same and I have learned so much and have absolutely fallen in love with each child that I have worked with. I believe this is what I was put on this earth to do, what I want to do, and I LOVE it! Just working with these kids is a reward in itself. When I started teaching in 2002 1 in 160 children were affected by autism. The number has increased dramatically to 1 in 110 as of today. It is so frustrating because we do not know what is causing it and there is no cure. I can certainly say that the world is a better place having individuals with autism in it. If you know someone with autism or have a friend or family that you know with a child with autism please learn from them, always be understanding, and try to put yourself in their position. They don't need sympathy, but they do need ALL of the support they can get. If you are out in your community and see a child throwing a "tantrum" or participating in a behavior that you might think is "weird," do not place judgment. This could be one of my friends. Get to know an individual with autism and your life will be forever changed. Thank you to all of my friends and family who have been so supportive to me and my passion for autism over the years. In honor of today it id the Light it Up Blue campaign. Many buildings throughout the world will be lit up in blue today and tonight to spread awareness.

2 comments:

  1. Thank God for you! You do such wonderful work!
    Please give your sweeties a big hug for me.

    PS. I was so proud of Valdosta - they have blue ribbons everywhere downtown for ASD awareness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a big heart, Stef!!! The love you have for your job is one of the biggest reasons I adore and admire you. Your kiddos are so lucky to have you for a teacher.

    ReplyDelete