Wood's World

Wood's World

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If I want advice...I will ask for it...promise

It amazes me how so many people with children think that they are THE expert on parenting and give you advice or suggestions when you don't ask for it. What makes them a "better" or more "experienced" parent than you? Is there a class or test that someone has not told me about that you can take to become a "highly qualified" parent because there is for teachers? Do not get me wrong...I am brand new to this parenting thing and have so much to learn. I am also not afraid to ASK for advice, but please DO NOT give it to me unless I ask for it. I want to experience parenting to the fullest and learn from my own mistakes and make decisions for my child (with the help of his father) that we think are in his best interst until he is capable of making them on his own. Just in case you are worried...I do read and research, talk to my friends and coworkers that are parents, my family, and my pediatrician if I want or need advice. These are all people that I respect, trust, and value their opinion. Will I always take the advice? Maybe not, but often times I do. Oh yeah...and I also know to call 911 in case of emergency. I would NEVER put my child in danger...ever! So while you are worried about MY parenting and what decisions I am making for MY child, please worry about your own child(ren) and try not to focus so much on the choices I am making. It is a hard job to be everyone's social conscience...so Good Luck with that and your crusade to change the world.

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand this post!! Funny how people think that they know everything! Also funny how so many complete strangers feel the need to tell me their full labor and delivery story...like I want to hear about that!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand too! I know I did not have a baby the conventional way but just because I did not birth her, does not give people the right to tell me how to raise her. I know what is best for her, not them. I too get really irriated and I know they mean well, but sometimes, I just want to tell them to tell them to shut up! ~ Tina Turner

    ReplyDelete